Oh I hate Chuy’s. I just found it today and I can honestly say, I hate it! Chuy’s is a Tex Mex chain that by all accounts is very authentic. The food was wonderful. The best dish I had was the dessert. We shared a piece of Tres Leches Cake. IT WAS AMAZING! So, I went on a hunt for the recipe. I found it. Here is the recipe for Chuy’s Tres Leches Cake.
Chuy’s Tres Leches Cake
¼ tablespoon Salt
3 cups Sugar
3 cups Flour
1 tablespoon + 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
1 tablespoon + 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla
1 ½ cups Whole Milk
1 ½ tablespoons Margarine
3-12 oz. cans Evaporated Milk
1 ½ – 14 oz. cans Condensed Milk
3 cups Heavy Cream
1 tablespoon Vanilla
4 cups (1 quart) Heavy Cream
½ cup Buttermilk
1 ½ cups Sugar
2 tablespoons Vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Crack open the eggs and separate the whites from yolks. Hold whites in the fridge for later.
3. Add the sugar to the yolks and beat with the hand mixer until smooth.
4. Add flour, baking powder, vanilla and milk and mix well.
5. In a new bowl whip the egg whites and salt until they form peaks.
6. With a rubber spatula GENTLY fold egg whites into cake batter.
7. Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan with the margarine.
8. Pour cake batter in prepared pan and bake at 350° for approximately 30 min. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cake and seeing if it comes out clean.
9. After taking cake out of the oven, poke holes every 1” with a straw or make small slits with a butter knife throughout the cake.
10. Combine all remaining ingredients and mix well.
11. Pour the milk mixture over the cake.
12. Cut cake into 12 pieces and cool.
Cream Fraiche Directions
Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl. Whip with hand mixer or in stand mixer for 30 seconds.
Put a layer of Cream Fraiche on the plate, drizzle caramel sauce on top of it, then top with a slice of cake with sliced strawberries on top.